Tuesday, January 08, 2008

I'm reading














I'm reading Blue Like Jazz. I've had it for awhile and just kept putting it aside. I've read Anne Lamott and wasn't sure I could take a grace book again so soon. I was thinking it might be good to try to muscle my way through Christianity for awhile. I got tired. So I picked it up.

He quotes Chesterton saying something like poets don't go crazy, it's chess players. I've been thinking about that. How you can go crazy trying to figure out all the right moves and master a game. Or you can step back and examine living from a little distance. Maybe with yourself not playing the leading role. Everything on the line with this next move. I don't really know what Chesterton meant. I'm still thinking about it.

6 comments:

KJP said...

Poets observe and accept.
Chess players observe how to control.

But no one can control everything.
Rolling with life's punches is much easier,
or better still - let God take the punches...

I love Chesterton.

ManUtd17 said...

I read Blue Like Jazz last year. Really enjoyed it. I think that quote means that Chesterton was smarter than us.

Kelly said...

Chesterton is off-the-charts brilliant. Love him!
Don Miller, is just really cool. I loved Blue Like Jazz, but it's not his best book. That would be a book called: Searching For God Knows What.
I would love to meet Don Miller. Seriously. And Chesterton, but he's already in Heaven.
Hi Caroline. How are you today?

carolineb said...

Kelly, I think you should marry Don Miller. Seriously. I bet he would freakin love you.

Melinda said...

I have wanted to read that book forever. Anna loaned it to someone else first (I'm not sure if she has it back yet.) And gave me "Velvet Elvis" instead. It was really good, so I may forgive her in the future.

Writeaway said...

I haven't read that book, but I read Caroline's blog. And that is enough.