Friday, January 25, 2008

Scary Trip

I'm not what you would call a "world traveler". I've never been across the Atlantic. I've been to Honduras and Jamaica and Mexico, all in our hemisphere. So what I'm about to tell you may come as a shock. I'm going to South Asia.

That's right, come April I'll be headed off into the wild blue yonder to visit a friend who went there after college and started adopting children off the streets. She has 47 now. It's just about the coolest story you've ever heard, but it's better told in person.

We're going to take her kids on a retreat, a modified youth camp. And some musicians are coming and bringing instruments to play and leave with the kids to learn and play.

My old church used to give 35% to her short-term missionaries. My adorable little brand new start up church plant has no such policy and the whole 2 week round trip costs over $2,000, most of which is airfare. Mike says we can pay for the trip out of our pocket, and we will if I don't raise any money. But, if I DO raise some money, we could use OUR money to buy more gear and sound stuff to send that we will probably buy anyway.

So, here's my plea. Search your heart and see if you'd like to invest in my trip. If so, your contribution will be tax deductible if made out to Stonebridge Church with a note attached that it's for me. You could mail it to them at 176 Roswell Street, Marietta, GA 30060.

Email me at bellsouth.net if you want the web address of my friend's blog. I'm cbed at that domain. And pray for me to be infused with bravery. Although, like I told Annie recently:


It ain't brave if you ain't scared.


8 comments:

h. said...

you are so brave! it will not be scary -- it will increase your faith for the next courageous opportunity.

i love that on your profile it says industry: technology, occupation: love.

Jennie B said...

Here's my prediction about this trip - stated on this January 25, 2008: you will be more "you" there than you ever thought possible.

I'll put my money on that.

Jennie B said...

Oh - it's the 26th. Okay... January 26th and almost the 27th. What a dork.

Melinda said...

You know, I was just wishing for a comment from you. Today I have one. (Does this mean I should wish for things more often?)

I am a big fan of the quote at the end. This year is going to be a roller coaster (hate roller coasters) so it gave me chills. It's a good thing to remember.

Marie-Claire said...

So right. India will love you. And I miss you.

ManUtd17 said...

Jen took that trip in the fall of 2000. Forever changed. You will love every scary stinkin' moment.

Chip B said...

South Asia will never be the same after Caroline. Those children (all 47 of them) will not know what hit them. Beddy, beddy gud.

Tammy Ma said...

hey Caroline.... don't worry, this trip will be plush-ville compared to the early days....I used to think that suffering equalled godliness..... but...I have grown up a bit... so....worry not.